If we talk about India’s few YouTube discoveries, Mithila Palkar is definitely one of the earliest ones who rose to fame with her ‘cup song’ on YouTube that touches more than 4 million views now. Mithila is known to us as the titular actor from the Bindass’s Girl In The City and Little Things which become hit for her natural acting and chatty millennial warmth.
Blows out Candles: 10th January 1993
Early Life: Mithila was born to a Maharashtra family in Mumbai and she has a sister who is a doctorate in Neuroscience. She, along with her sister, was sent to her maternal grandparents’ house in Dadar, Mumbai by her parents during her schooling. Mithila, since her childhood wanted to be an actor on stage, however, her family wanted her to complete her graduation first. It took quite an effort to convince her strict ‘Marathi’ grandparents to convince them. She has done her Bachelor of Mass Media from Smt. Mithila Motiram Kundnani College, Mumbai.
Beginnings and OTT platforms: After finishing her graduation, Mithila came to Quasar Padamsee, an stage actor turned theatre director for an audition, although not selected but turned out to be a part of Padamsee’s annual theatre festival, ‘Thespo’ to handle the backstage.
There she met Dhrub Sehgal, the writer, actor and director on the basis of whose suggestion Mithila gave an audition for Filter Copy’s satirical show ‘News Darshan’ which she did. Mithila not just got chosen for it, she became the main lead of Bindass’s millennial TV show Girl In The City. Later Dhrub and Mithila did Little Things with Dice Media which became an instant hit for its no-drama relatable story, their fresh chemistry and natural acting.
Little Things became so popular that Penguin Random House took it to publish in a book form and Netflix bought the franchise. The second season of Little Things came out during October 2018 in Netflix (which maintained its craft and popularity). Mithila, also did a couple of other web-series like Official Chukyagiri (2016), Confusing Things Girlfriends Say, Annoying Things Boyfriends do. She appeared in a lot of TV commercials (Maggie, Tata Tea, Cadbury perk etc.) as well.
Films: As said by her directors, Mithila’s strength lies in her diversity of mediums, whether stage, Web-series or films. Mithila’s first short film was Majha Honeymoon (2014) and then in Bollywood film Katti Batti she played the role of Imran Khan’s sister. In Murumba (2017), a Marathi film, Mithila played the character of Indu, an ambitious girl and also sang the title song of the film.
She won the best debutant (female) actor award in 4th Jio Filmfare Marathi for Murumba. In 2018 she did Karwaan, a Hindi film, directed by Akarsh Khurana as one of the protagonists alongside Irrfan Khan and Malayalam star Dulquer Salman.
Mithila can be seen in the international show ‘The Good Karma Hospital’ as Shobha.
Upcoming: Mithila is currently shooting for her next Netflix film with Abhay Deol.
• Mithila is facilitated by Forbes India as one of their 30 Under 30 Young achievers, 2018 recently.
• Personally, she is a romantic person, who loves to get handwritten letters, stays with her grandparents in Mumbai.
• In her own words, although she gave a lot of efforts to convince her grandparents to allow her to follow her passion, they are her biggest strength and ardent supporters.
• Mithila is a trained Kathak dancer
• She loves animals, her Instagram account is proof of that.
• Mithila admires Priyanka Chopra for her career choices.
• Her first song ‘Maharashtra Desha’ was released by Bharatiya Digital Party on the eve of the state’s day.
• Mithila has been featured on a couple of leading magazine covers like Just Urbane, Bazaar India, New Women, FHM India, The Man etc.
• She’s associated with plays and dramas and recently has done ‘Dekh Behen’ of Akvarious Productions which has been shown on Prithvi theatre as well.