If you are a fan of web-series made-in-India, you cannot ignore Sumeet Vyas, as he’s the blue-eyed boy of the Web-series world in India. With Permanent Roommates of TVF, he became the talk-of-the-town. He’s presently working as an actor as well as a writer for movies, short films, web-series and theatre.
Blow out the candle on: 27th July 1983.
Early Life: Vyas’s parents, B.M.Vyas and Sudha Vyas belonged to a simple middle-class family from Jodhpur, Rajasthan. After some years Vyas came to Mumbai to try his luck in acting and writing. As he said in his recent interview, he has always been fascinated by actors and the craft. Vyas attended R.D. National College in Mumbai and gave up his formal education and began working as an assistant director in Mumbai.
- TV stints: In 2007, Sumeet Vyas started his career with a show on DD National, Woh Hue Na Hamare, and later was seen in some daily soaps like Kasam Se (Zee TV), Rehna Hain Teri Palkon Ke Chaaon Mein (Imagine TV), Chandragupta Maurya (Imagine TV), and later in Stories by Rabindranath Tagore (Epic TV), and Comedy Nights Bachao (Colors).
- Web Series Fame: In spite of facing the lens since 2000, Sumeet Vyas rose to fame with his stellar performance as Mikesh Chaudhary in TVF’s first web-series Permanent Roommates (2014). In his own words, he realized that he had made it when the first episode of Permanent Roommates rolled in.
I remember Permanent Roommates being the first web series ever made, the first episode of 14 minutes went on to receive 3 to 4 lakh views within 6 hours. We realised that people are taking it seriously and we were in the right track.
After Permanent Roommates in 2014-2016, he was seen in TVF Tripling(2016) as Chandan who started a hilarious journey with his siblings, exploring themselves and their relationship.
Vyas co-wrote Tripling as well. Meanwhile, he also co-wrote Y-Film’s Bang Baaja Baraat (2015) starring Angira Dhar and Ali Fazal which was another hot favourite on the Internet. Later he made a couple of acting contributions in Arre’s Official Chukyagiri (2016) and later Official CEO-giri (2018). TVF has recently released Tripling Season 2 (2019) with Vyas as an actor at the front again and a co-writer as well.
Vyas is also a dialogue-writer of Netflix’s ‘Love Per Square Foot’ starring Vicky Kaushal.
- Films: The first Bollywood film of Vyas was Jashan (2009). Later he was seen in films like Aarakshan (2011), English Vinglish (2012), Aurangzeb (2013), Kajaraya (2013), Guddu ki Gun (2015), Parched (2015), Sabki Bajegi Band (2015), Ribbon (2017), High Jack (2018), Veere Di Wedding (2018). Vyas has worked in more than 30 films. However, his first film as a lead was Ribbon(2017) where he was opposite Kalki Koechlin. Vyas’s performance was critically acclaimed. He was part of a Web campaign by BigRock in 2017.
Other than acting and TV programmes, Sumeet Vyas is associated with theatre productions.
- During Veere Di Wedding shooting, Vyas felt a bit intimidated by the stardom of Kareena Kapoor Khan. He later said in an interview that she always had six bodyguards with her while shooting and that was a bit intimidating although the actress herself was fun to work with. She had no starry tantrums.
- Sumeet Vyas is married to TV actress Ekta Kaul after ending his first marriage with theatre and television personality Shivani Tanksale in 2017.
- In a Holi party, Vyas had ‘bhaang’ and his lady love Ekta ‘rescued’ him by driving a bullet with Vyas on the backseat. Vyas admitted falling in love with Ekta on that day. So the bullet played the Cupid.
- For fashion statement and inspiration he looks up to Ranveer Singh (because he’s asking for it) and Shah Rukh Khan as he is the STYLE.
- Sumeet finds his inspiration from his father who was an actor and writer in the National School of Drama (NSD).
- Nadira Babbar is his mentor and he was associated with her theatre group ‘Ekjute’ for six years.
- In a recent interview, he said that it took him 14 long years to finally get that recognition he always craved for after starting at the age of 17.
You can watch Sumeet Vyas’s latest venture Tripling 2 on TVF Play and SONY LIV with all episodes streaming. Here’s the trailer.